Friday, August 10, 2012

Well, shit.

Got into a minor car accident today, and of course, it was my fault. --______--;;;

(personal entry, just skip)

It figures; on the rare occasion that I actually drive by myself to do a few errands, I make a really idiotic mistake and cause an accident.

I was exiting a parking lot and was about to turn right but remembered I should turn left, so I wavered, and then I saw an oncoming car and it honked, and I meant to hit the brake, but I panicked and accidentally hit the gas pedal instead. *infinite headdesk* Thankfully, we were both pretty slowed down and she swerved to avoid me, but I hit her passenger side. She drove past me, scraping my front bumper and her back bumper almost completely off. We stopped at the side of the road and got out. I apologized profusely and asked if she was okay. She said yes, just shaken, as was I. "Didn't you see me?" she asked. All I could do was give the lame excuse that I had panicked and then say sorry a dozen more times. *sigh*

She called the police, and an officer stopped by just a couple minutes later to see what happened and then redirect traffic around our cars. I called my sister (whose car I was driving -_-), trying to find the current auto insurance card since I only had an older one. The traffic police came and took our information for the accident report. The ambulance came and the paramedics asked if we had been wearing seatbelts (yes) and if we were okay. The lady said her leg hurt a bit, but she didn't want to go through the trouble and expense of ambulance services, so they checked her out and then left. Her husband came and they talked. Meanwhile I called the insurance company, but they said I had to wait for the police report, so we just waited.

The older couple were pretty understanding, considering what I'd done. I tried apologizing some more, but they said accidents happen and no one was hurt. They took off her back bumper, which had been left barely hanging. But my front bumper wouldn't come off, so I thought I'd have to call a tow truck because I couldn't drive with it scraping along in front. Thankfully, the traffic cop said that besides the leaking windshield wiper fluid, the front was basically fine, and the bumper, which would have to be replaced, could be removed, and he did it for me. The couple and I exchanged information, I said sorry again, and they left.

I got a traffic ticket for $170, plus "driver improvement school". =/ The officer almost seemed sympathetic since it was my first accident, saying it was policy since I was at fault, but I know it was and take full responsibility. Then he helped me push the backseats down to fit the broken bumper into the trunk and backseat, and he even got a couple of plastic ties to temporarily reattach the plastic parts left hanging so that they wouldn't flap around the tires while driving. I was very impressed and grateful. I asked, "Do you have to learn about car repair before you become a traffic cop?" He laughed a bit and said, "Well, I learned while growing up, but yeah, it helps to learn as you go." He was very nice when he said, "It's tough when accidents happen, but hopefully this will be your first and last accident. It's better that it was a minor one like this rather than a serious crash." I thanked him again, then carefully drove out of the way of the street into another parking lot. I called the insurance company and was finally able to make the claim. Then I very carefully drove back home, still shaken and nervous about driving.

I knew I wasn't a very good driver. I mean, I used to be okay in my small hometown, and I can do well, even on certain highways, as long as I have someone with me, but even though I try to be aware and careful, I know I've made some careless mistakes that almost could have been accidents. And everyone I know has had at least one, so I knew this would happen eventually. *SIGH* I just feel really stupid and guilty for causing the accident, with my sister's car, no less, and after the cost of repairs, our car insurance will be hiked up. =( Not a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment