Saturday, May 2, 2015

Kittens: 44 Weeks Old + FCBD


 

 

Free Comic Book Day! Mom and I got DC's Divergence (short story previews for Superman, Batman, and Justice League post-Convergence) and Avatar: The Last Airbender (Toph & Tylee team-up~ ;).

Yay, new local comic book store in the area! Apparently they've been around for months, but I never knew! I don't buy comics that often, but at least I don't have to drive 30 minutes to get to a LCS. It's another small shop in a mall, but it's pretty nice. The staff are cool, and they gave me 10% off and free board & bag for the comics I bought.

I usually avoid the "Big Crossover Event of the Year" storylines; too many issues to keep track of and track down. I couldn't resist a couple of Convergence titles though. They're 2-part stories that briefly continue old DCU continuities, so it's both nostalgic and cathartic to go back and see where your favorite (versions of) characters are and how their lives would develop if allowed to mature ("get old" in comics), especially "under the Dome" (big Brainiac multiverse "Battle Royale" experiment).

Of course, I picked up Nightwing/Oracle because Dick/Babs is my DC OTP, and they get engaged(!) and fight Flashpoint (brutal) Hawkman/Hawkwoman in the story! I also got Superman because my other OTP Lois 'n Clark are finally having a baby. <3 Both issues were really well-written, and I can't wait for the part 2 issues. They were so good, I'm thinking about looking into the other pre-Flashpoint (pre-New52) miniseries, namely Justice League (all-heroine team story! w/ a baby shower & Flashpoint Aquaman), Batgirl (Steph Brown & Cass Cain!!), The Question (Renee Montoya! + Batwoman & Huntress), and Harley Quinn (classic Gotham City Sirens~ w/ Poison Ivy & Catwoman).

Yeah, I never realized how much I missed preFP DC. I didn't even buy or read that much, but I followed it, and they're the versions of the characters I really got into. I guess each fan has a favorite era. The other Convergence weeks have pre-Infinite Crisis, pre-Zero Hour, and pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths, so there's something for every fan of every major iteration of these characters.

Not sure what's going to happen post-Convergence (what happens to all these worlds/timelines? will they pick 'n choose the "best" versions & cram them together into 1 main continuity?), but this event is a nice trip down memory lane and a chance to *sniff* say goodbye to my favs.

No comments:

Post a Comment