Monday, February 20, 2012

X-mas 2011 - Prez-day 2012

Christmas presents, new DVDs, good movies, sad soaps.
(personal entry, skippable)


Incredibly late holiday entry because a) I'm a lazy bum who never can keep up with journals, and b) I just got my last present a week and a half ago. It was a really pleasant winter break with family, lots of delicious food, and starting a new book series, Ranger's Apprentice. Mom and I tried to go to Wal-Mart for its first "open Xmas Eve" sale, but it was absolutely full, packed with cars all the way around the street! Never seen anything like it in our small T-ville. haha. But we had fun shopping the next few days. I even got a 75% off Batman ornament. *squee* The only bad part of the break was that Mom developed a gum infection and was miserable for a week and had to have a root canal. =(

Dad bought me a Kindle Fire after Thanksgiving. Totally against my will, honestly. I tried to get him to return it because I didn't need or want a tablet (I consider the iPad an impractical, glorified giant iPhone), but he opened it and forced it on me. After much reluctance, I admit I kinda like it. I can read classics and get many cookbooks, short stories, or romantic fluff for free, and I got Mag hooked on Angry Birds and Mom and Rach re-hooked on Bejeweled. XD Plus, I got a free texting app. ;)

Mag got me a $20 Steak 'n Shake gift card. LOL I had mentioned a few times how good a deal it is to get an extra $5 off coupon when you buy a gift card for the holidays. Funniest and yummiest present ever. We spent them in two visits. Mmm...

Rach tried to give me a $20 Wal-Mart gift card, but I told her I'd rather she get me something more peresonal than practical money. (She argued about Mag's gift, but I countered that putting more thought into a small gift by listening to my wants was better than paying for general, everyday needs.) Thus, we visited the local Dollar Tree, a favorite stop of ours for cute knick-knacks, and she got me purple socks, flavored chapstick, and a Batman towel, all three small, cute, and more meaningful to me. ^^

Finally, Mom bought me The Phantom of the Opera - 25th Anniversary Celebration DVD, which just came out Feb. 7! Phantom is my all-time favorite musical. Maybe because it opened the year I was born, and I grew up listening to my dad's vinyl record of the original Broadway cast. I love the movie, and I've seen both the U.S. Tour and the Vegas Spectacular shows. Anyway, I've been waiting for this DVD since I read about the special concert at Royal Albert Hall. It's a fantastic production with full staging plus LED screen, 200 cast members, and amazing performances. :D

In addition, we also bought Les Miserables - 25th Anniversary Concert DVD (good, but not as perfect as the Dream Cast of the 10th Anniversary, especially with Nick Jonas' lackluster singing and acting -_-;), Adele's 21 album (very good), and Star Wars Original Trilogy Blu-Ray (finally! 8D love the quality, and don't mind most of the changes, except adding Vader's "Nooo" and inserting Hayden Christensen as ghost!Anakin at the end XP).

So we've been watching a lot of good stuff lately. Actually I watched Inception for the first time this past weekend, and I loved it. It took me like 3 hours both times because I kept pausing and discussing the situations, rules, and concepts with Mag. Fascinating premise, Matrix-like reality-questioning ideas, mind-blowing action sequences and special effects, terrific writing, directing, editing, and acting. 5/5 stars. (Side-note: I now have a crush on Arthur/Joseph Gordon-Levitt.)

I still have Inception on the brain, but right now I'm ridiculously upset about today's General Hospital Scrubs part. Robin got caught in a lab explosion and is assumed dead! D: omg Robin and Patrick's last scene together, saying their good-byes from opposite sides of the door had me bawling. TT___TT Dammit, why does Kimberly McCullough have to leave? I'm so going to miss my OTP soap super-couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment