Friday, March 25, 2016

Holy Trinity, Batman!

It's heeerrreee! Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice came out today, and I saw it tonight! It's a dream come true for me, to be honest. We finally have a World's Finest movie (with Wonder Woman!), and it was awesome!! Grade: A-!



Actually, BvS was like a Man of Steel sequel for Superman, a Batman movie with backstory (and obligatory origin story), a short Trinity movie, and the beginning of a Justice League movie, all in one 2.5-hour film! It's just mind-blowing how much story they fit into it and executed well. Multiple plotlines with real emotions for all the characters, woven together for one big, complicated, poignant conflict and resolution. It felt like it gave proper screen time, attention, and depth to every major character, and there were many. And it was so much more than just a superhero smackdown or comic book movie. It was a film about humanity and all its strengths, flaws, complexity, and weight. It was also a political thriller, psychological drama, heist movie, action flick. So many layers!

I know a lot of critics call it messy, but it's barely jarring. Sure, there were a couple of awkward missteps from having so many characters, flashbacks, and set-ups for future DC Films, but as ambitious and jam-packed as it is, I followed the plot developments easily enough and with rapt attention.

Honestly, I'm genuinely puzzled as to why so many critics disliked it. The positives far, far outweigh the negatives. And I'm not just loving BvS because I'm a huge DC geek. I don't automatically approve of everything they make. In fact, like most fans, I'm actually harder on them. These are my favorite characters, and I want the best versions of them to be adapted well. Like, I really like MoS, but I do agree with the criticisms that it was too somber and the action scenes gave me CGI battle fatigue.

So walking into BvS, rather than high expectations, I had high hopes but mostly deep fears. I was really worried about BvS (not least of all because Snyder and Affleck cited Frank Miller (ew) as a big inspiration). I dreaded the possibility that it would be a 2-hour wrestling match for some contrived plot point and that they'd ruin Wonder Woman. As it turns out, BvS was the complete opposite. The BvS conflict actually made sense, not just plot-wise, but character-wise. The writing does a great job of framing both Bruce and Clark's states-of-mind and explaining how they end up on opposite sides for legitimate reasons (not mind-control). The CGI was not that bad or overwhelming, and the fight scenes were brutal but not too long. All the ladies were real and fantastic in different ways, Lois Lane, Senator Finch, Martha Kent, etc. And omg, did they do Wonder Woman justice. I think almost everyone agrees that Diana was the best part of BvS. She was badass, smart, beautiful, and compassionate. Just right. I can't wait for the Wonder Woman movie next year!

Gal Gadot was definitely the breakout star. Bravo to her for embodying such an iconic character and symbol of feminine (inner+outer) strength+beauty! Henry Cavill continues to bring such humanity (empathy, love, doubt, etc.) to Clark, Amy Adams has the wits and warmth of Lois down pat, and Jeremy Irons is the perfect wise and snarky Alfred. I was on the fence about Jesse Eisenberg, and he still has that signature nervous energy in his performance, but I think it works with this younger, unstable Lex, and he was a great villain with realistic motives and diabolical plans. And as for Batfleck, well, I was full-on "NOOOOO" when he was cast, but I will happily admit that I was wrong. Affleck was actually a really good Batman and Bruce, dare I say, the best live-action one so far? He expressed Bruce's brooding weariness, trauma, paranoia, sorrow, rage, and righteousness, and his Batman was smart, threatening, and kick-ass, straight out of the Arkham video games. With Affleck co-writing/producing/directing/starring, I am definitely optimistic for the solo Batman movie (hopefully an adaptation of Under the Red Hood).

The reveal of the Justice League members' origins was kind of a detour and could have been cut down and saved for the next DC Film, but I really liked what I saw of The Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg so far. Can't believe Justice League is finally happening! *flail* (But first, Suicide Squad in August!)

I enjoyed almost every part of BvS. I was never bored, confused, or thinking about plot holes. Besides older Batman easing up on his strict No-Kill Rule (recently, apparently), I was not disappointed but quite pleased with the characterizations. I rooted for both Batman and Superman, I fell in love with Wonder Woman, I sat on the edge of my seat during dialogue and action alike, I gasped and cheered, and I laughed and cried.

Is BvS perfect? No. Is it epic, amazing, beautiful, heart-pounding, heart-wrenching, filled to the brim with both story and spectacle, with great characters, writing, acting, directing? YES. It's as close to my dream Batman/Superman/WorldsFinest/Trinity movie as I could ever hope for, and I can't wait to see it again.
in all honesty, if you love the dc universe - you will enjoy batman vs superman. it was a love letter to the characters. ben was bruce, gal was diana, henry was clark. everyone shone and even non powered characters like lois had hero moments and fantastic character building. the reviews can say what they like. i’ve spent ten years with dc. this was amazing pay off. ~~@reyesrobbies

No comments:

Post a Comment