Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Netflix

When we weren't touring and eating, we took advantage of M's Netflix subscription. We watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2: Sword of Destiny. I was surprised to learn it was filmed in English and dubbed over with Mandarin, rather than the other way around. Guess it's because it was a Weinstein Co./Netflix production aimed at American viewers over Chinese. It was more of a traditional kung fu action/fantasy adventure, which I liked, though not as beautiful and emotional (and tragic) as Ang Lee's CTHD. It's a sequel in that it continues the Green Destiny's story but not quite a sequel in spirit. I would watch CTHD2 again though. I like the characters, the actors (hey, it's Magnus Bane from Shadowhunters lol), and the fight sequences. It may be a "blatant money-grab," but at least it's good entertainment, even if it's not as artistic and dramatic. I do hope they make more out of the Iron-Crane Pentalogy.

I caught a few minutes of Finding Vivian Maier, a documentary about the posthumously celebrated photographer. She was a nanny who took hundreds of thousands of photos during her lifetime but never showed them to anyone, and it was only after her death and the accidental discovery of her negatives at an auction that she got the recognition her great work of street photography deserved. From what I saw, it was fascinating, and I must make a mental note to find it and finish it someday.

We also started watching Daredevil Season 2! Alas, we didn't have time to finish the whole season, but we watched the first five episodes, and they're just as compelling and well-written as Season 1. Still don't like the violence and gore, but the intense character studies, development, and monologue/dialogues are excellent, not to mention the fight scenes. I'm not feeling the Matt/Karen ship though. I kind of liked it when it was Karen subtly crushing and Matt being a sweet friend but not romantically reciprocal (much like I preferred Arrow when Felicity was adorkably crushing on and being supportive of (but awesomely no-nonsense to) Oliver, while he treated her as a respected colleague and cute close friend). Matt/Elektra is very interesting and tensiony so far, but she seems kinda crazy. I'd like more Claire (with or without Matt). I love Foggy.

While enjoying DD2, I noticed so many parallels to Batman. Not only is DD a well-known Batman-for-Marvel, but Elektra is DD's Talia (femme fatale love interest who seems perfect for the hero except for shadier morals), and Punisher is Red Hood (vigilante who "crosses the line/does what the hero won't" and kills criminals with guns). Even Punisher's ultimatum to DD ("shoot me or I'll shoot this murderer") is the same as Red Hood's (I know Punisher came before Red Hood, so it's possible that moral confrontation was in Marvel before DC, idk). Anyway, the show and characters are written and acted so well, I don't even care. No, actually, I'm a little "jealous" at how good DD is and how DC can't adapt things as well, but there's hope yet!

Only THREE MORE DAYS until BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment