Saturday, July 23, 2016

Barnes & Noble - DC Comics Event

I went to DC Night of Barnes & Noble's Get Pop-Cultured series of geektastic store events.

It started at 8 PM with some freebies: Harley Quinn and the Suicide Squad #1 Special B&N Edition, DC Super Hero Girls Sampler with previews of DCSHG: Finals Crisis graphic novel and Supergirl at Super Hero High novel, the DC Essentials 2016 Catalog, and a large promo poster of the catalog's cover.

There was a Buy-2-Get-a-3rd-Free Sale on DC graphic novels, but I'd already bought my DC Bombshells books, so I didn't have anything to buy. The children's department had DC Comics bingo and Bat-symbol mustache paper crafts for the couple of families with young kids, while the adult fans like me tried the trivia contest. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the trivia pages, but here are some of the questions I remembered:

DC Comics Trivia:
  1. What was the name of Aquaman's pet octopus? - ??? [Answer: Topo]
  2. Which aliens did the Justice League first team up to fight?  - Starro? [Appelaxians]
  3. Superman's shield means "Hope," but something else entirely when upside down... - Rebirth? [Resurrection]
  4. How often must a power ring be charged? - every 24 hours
  5. How does Superman enter his Fortress of Solitude? - with a giant [yellow, arrow-shaped] key
  6. The Green Lantern Corps oath goes: "Beware my power..." - Green Lantern's Light
  7. Wonder Woman comes from Paradise Island, also known as... - Themyscira
  8. What is the name of Wonder Woman's mother? - Hippolyta
  9. What is the name of the interdimensional imp that gives Superman trouble? - Mr. Mxyzptlk
  10. How does The Flash travel through time? - Cosmic Treadmill
  11. How does The Atom travel quickly? - shrinks and pulses through telephone lines
  12. Two of The Flash's villains are from the future. Reverse Flash &... - Professor Zoom? [Abracadabra]
Suicide Squad Trivia:
  1. In what comic book did the Suicide Squad first appear? - Brave and the Bold
  2. In what year did the Suicide Squad first appear? - 1959
  3. What gives Killer Croc his unique appearance? - skin mutation [disease]
  4. What is Deadshot's real name? - Floyd Lawton
  5. What is Harley Quinn's full name? - Harleen Francis Quinzel
  6. What is the official government name for the Suicide Squad? - Task Force X
  7. What is the name of the prison for the Suicide Squad? - Belle Reve
  8. How did Harley Quinn meet the Joker? - She was his psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum.
  9. What is Captain Boomerang's real name? - Digger Harkness
  10. What is the name of Katan's sword? - Soultaker
  11. What is Killer Croc's real name? - Dwayne? [Waylon] Jones
  12. Which comic book had the first appearance of Deadshot? - Batman / Detective Comics
  13. Which comic book had the first appearance of El Diablo? - Brave and the Bold? [All-Star Western]
  14. Which comic book had the first appearance of Slipknot? - Brave and the Bold? [Fury of Firestorm]
  15. Who is in charge of keeping the Suicide Squad in line? - Amanda Waller & Colonel Flagg
  16. Amanda Waller works for which government agency? - Checkmate / ARGUS
  17. Captain Boomerang is in whose rogues gallery? - The Flash
  18. Who created Harley Quinn? - Bruce Timm & Paul Dini
  19. What is the name of the woman possessed by Enchantress? - June Moone
I think there were 20 questions in each set, but these are all I can remember. They were pretty tough, but I surprised myself with how many I knew. I had to make some educated guesses on a handful, but only the octopus one stumped me. Filling out the trivia pages probably took me 10-15 minutes. When I turned them in, the staff girl said I was the first one done. (She also complimented my Wonder-Bomb tee and said she loves DC Bombshells, too.) Later, we checked the answers, and overall, I got only 3 wrong each, so that's 85% correct.

And I'd won a prize! :D (Yay, useless fandom knowledge! XD) The girl handed me a plastic bag with a Batman tumbler and rolled-up paper, which she said was a mini Wonder Woman poster! I said, "that's perfect," pointing to my shirt again, but I had no idea how perfect. When I unrolled the poster, I was delighted to find, not just any WW, but my favorite DC Bombshells "Wondy the Riveter" cover art. ♥ I've always wanted a print of this to hang on my wall. ^__^

After thanking the staff for a fun night (there were no more activities), I got ready to go (R was still waiting for me!). Before I left, the girl said if I like Harry Potter (which, of course!), then next weekend, the store will host a Harry Potter party for the release of the script book for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child plays. I worried that I might be too old to go, but they told me that people of all ages attend, and in fact, it's mostly people who grew up with HP and who are now adults. Hehe. So I said it sounds like fun and I might call my friends to go like we used to. (I wonder if Sara will be free?)

I left happy, and R and I got Sonny's BBQ drive-through for dinner, which was quite fast and very yummy (mmm, brisket...). ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment