Tuesday, October 11, 2011

SIGH. KHJ.

Kim Hyun Joong wants to be SS501's best solo artist.

HJ, I know I said I wanted you to talk about SS501 more, but this isn't what I meant. Maybe it is better that you do the quiet/vague/stoic/can't-legally-or-firmly-talk-about-it-so-I-suffer-silently thing. -_-

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, but it's just that the other members said that they weren't competing with each other, and HJ's statement sounds like competing (which we know he loves to do).  The others said they wanted to do their best and show their best, not be the best out of the five of them.  Instead of "I want to hear that I’m the best as a solo artist out of all the SS501 members," I wish HJ had said, "I want to hear that SS501 has the best solos out of all the groups."  I want HJ to show some pride and promise when he talks about SS501, not mention it like it's just something he used to do.

After some time to think, I admit that his statement could've been taken the wrong way ("mistranslations" and "misunderstandings" seem to happen to KHJ the most :P).  It's possible he wasn't being cocky or tactless but humble, admitting that he's not the best in SS501, and like the others, strives to improve himself and show his best.  One of the things I like most about HJ is that he's honest and self-aware.  He once said he hopes to someday become an artist that his fans won't be embarrassed to tell others about.  He realizes that people think his fans like him mostly for his looks/charms rather than his music/acting (he has natural talents, but doesn't really get to show them in this trend-obsessed K-ent business). I'm sure he hears that he's "the best" all the time. I think what he wants is for people to recognize his talent, not just his popularity ("highest sales" or "most popular" don't always equal "best"). It'd be nice if he said, "I want to live up to the name SS501," but aiming for the top of your talented group is kind of a compliment, I guess?

As I've said before, I do not doubt HJ's relationship with the others. I believe them when they say they'll be walking together as brothers forever.  But HJ's attitude makes me wonder if he still wants to actually make music and perform with the members forever. Maybe he just likes making his own music and success, which is fine and normal (most idols "outgrow" their groups). I just wonder... about his role as Leader... about SS501's future...  But I know that I'll always support all of them no matter what.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah~ unfortunately he is always being misunderstood. What he thinks (intention/meaning), what he says (his words) and how it's interpreted (by others/what is printed) can sometimes be very very different. Like ridiculous different, until he tries to explain the circumstances in which those thoughts progressed and then you are like really? wth why didn't you just say it like that then lol

    The group members and the people who work with him are always saying to just trust&believe in him and I truly think that he is at least trying or planning something in the shadows. Otherwise they(he) should just outright say we are disbanded, it was a beautiful memory let's have a Goodbye SS501 party~ Well you never know, but I think there is still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I believe them when they say they'll be walking together as brothers forever."...but how can this be when in the latter interview, he basically admitted that he keep in touch with some ex Double S members but not others? I'm not trying to be bitchy with him but I fail to understand how fans can still believe in this "bond" or whatever they have when HJ literally said "yo, I don't keep in touch."

    It's me! your former JB fanfic dealer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8:42 Anon (aka JDN) - It's true, HJ's strange thought processes can make him easily misunderstood. But sometimes what his fans call "refreshingly honest" is just plain tactlessness. :P They make it sound like SS4 is giving "false hope", but I'd rather have their encouraging messages than a Leader who says "a SS501 album is almost impossible" with a hope-shredding tone. x_x
    The group members say trust&believe in THEM (not really HIM, because that'd acknowledge doubts about HJL). If KJ says they all want it and are trying, then I believe him. I know some people think KHJ's already quit SS501 but won't make it official to avoid antis, but I don't think he'd do that. Like you, I just hope KHJ's still trying/planning in secret. Thanks for your calming comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3:48 Anon (aka Dreamy) - Hi~~ How'd you find my blog? XD
    First off, please don't call them "ex-DoubleS" members. It hurts. ;_;
    Second, what I meant was that they'll always be family, whether or not they continue to be members or partners in the kpop biz. They all have very loyal personalities, and everything they've been through together has made them friends for life. I still believe in their bond because keeping in touch isn't the only way to maintain or prove a bond. I'm pretty bad at keeping in touch, but when I see/talk with old friends, we're still friends, just not in everyday contact. (Case in point, you and I haven't talked since we both kicked the JB habit, but we can still pick up where we left off. ;) Just like when one grows up and leaves the nest; you don't share every day with your siblings anymore, but the bond is always there. See? ^^

    ReplyDelete