Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Controversy of Pearls


I admit, the pearls were shocking.  But I'm glad to see that the majority of people supports Kyu Jong no matter what.  And surprisingly, some are even starting to like the pearls (the more I look at it, the more okay it seems).

But geez, I didn't think the pearls would bother this many people this much. -_-;

Okay, I get it, some styles just don't work (ex. SuJu's horrendous "Mr. Simple" wardrobe). It's not my cup of tea either. But when people drag in sexual orientation into it, it's not just unfashionable to them, it's uncomfortable, wrong. Pearls are too associated with women and it looks too close to cross-dressing (in a serious way; if it was comedic, they'd be fine with it).

I hate when people leave "gay much?" and other stupid comments.  Really?  Right, so... Guyliner, eyeshadow, makeup, earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, hairdye, bright cutesy clothes, or skirts on guys is okay, but pearls are too much. >_< They don't make him gay; they make him bold and original. And he makes them sexy.

Male idols wear just as much makeup and jewelry accessories as female idols nowadays. Does it really make that much difference if it's a pearl necklace, not a metal or plastic one?

One fan said soon pearls will be the newest "in" thing because of KJ.  I hope so.  Just like when people were freaking out about SS501's REBIRTH concept photos and their heavy smoky makeup, and now almost every male idol wears it.  Or what about when Hyung Jun (and Big Bang) wore the man-skirts?  And once upon a time when it used to be weird for guys to wear earrings. (Look, KJ's wearing three in the teaser!)

Bottom line: I don't love the pearls, but I love the concept.  The pearls aren't the point.  The concept is white and black, pure and dark, female and male beauty.  Kind of Yin-and-Yang.  I think it's interesting and beautiful.  And I'm actually very proud of Kyu Jong for trying something so daring--and being confident and man enough to make it work. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment