Saturday, September 10, 2011

Old Fandoms Renewed

Lately, I've been on a fandom flashback kick.

-----

I have the urge to re-watch the Star Wars movies (even the prequels *gasp*).  Must be because of the new BluRay editions coming out, with even more changes to the original films.  *obligatory eyeroll*  I mean, I'm not a SW purist or anything; I grew up watching the 1998 Special Editions on VHS, and I appreciate the improved special effects; but a lot of the changes unnecessarily or even negatively alter the story-telling.  This is, like, the 3rd revision?  George Lucas, please stop tinkering already. XD;

Sadly, I don't think there'll ever be the "perfect version" for me, since I like some changes and dislike others from all the editions.  But I never get tired of this classic scene:

Ah, "Binary Sunset", that theme always makes me emotional.  It just overflows with wonder and destiny on the horizon. *o*

-----

Next is Teen Titans!  Being a big DC fan, this is one of my favorite cartoon series.  I love the anime-inspired style and humor, and I love all the characters.  ;D  Some of the silly filler episodes are skipable, but the major story arcs that span each season are really well done, the writing exciting, suspensful, emotional, and satisfying, especially for a "kid's show".

I watched the first 10 episodes of Young Justice recently, and it's pretty good so far.  It's literally like a younger version of Justice League. It's not as wacky fun as Teen Titans, and some of the "teenisms" are cheesy, but at least it's not over-stylized and annoying like The Batman.  (Surprisingly, I still love Robin, even if he's suddenly the youngest member, not the leader, has a quirky fascination with humorous grammar, and is played by, of all people, Jesse McCartney. lol)

-----

Lastly, Avatar: The Last Airbender.  Again, this is one of my favorite animated series.  Unique concept and world, beautiful art and music, fantastic writing and acting, both fun and epic.  Sometimes I still feel the need to buy it. XD

Feeling nostalgic, I randomly looked it up and was ecstatic to find out that there'll be a second Airbender series coming next year!  :D  It's called The Legend of Korra, and it's about the next Avatar after Aang, about 70 years after the first series.  It's supposed to be more mature but still keep its action, humor, and romance.  I can't wait!  The trailer looks awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment